Can I study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville?
At the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, we admit two types of international students for one semester or one academic year.
Exchange students pay for tuition – and in some cases housing and/or meals – at their home institution. To find out if you are eligible to study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville as an exchange student, please review our list of partner universities below. Do note that even if your institution is listed, this does not mean that they are accepting application for UT, Knoxville at this time. Please consult your education abroad office for more information.
What can I study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville?
Students can take courses in most areas of study at UT, Knoxville. The majority of classes are worth 3 UTK credit hours. You must take a minimum of 12 credit hours, but can take up to 19 credit hours, a semester. You can review previous classes offered through our timetable.
- Class – a period of study
- Major – the degree of study
- Level – there are four (4) years of undergraduate study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. You can tell what year of study a class generally targets by looking at its course code. Undergraduate students are not permitted to take classes 500 level and above, as these as graduate courses.
- Semester – the academic year has two semesters. Fall semester (Semester 1) takes place between August and December. Spring semester (Semester 2) takes places between January and May. Review UT’s academic calendar for more information regarding dates.
- Pre-requisites – some classes require that you have taken specific classes to enroll. Be sure to check for these in the timetable to see if you have taken comparable classes at your home university.