Are you ready to take the next steps toward studying abroad?
The Center for Global Engagement offers comprehensive study abroad advising services to current and prospective students. Whether you are new to study abroad and need help with the basics or are well versed in all your options, our peer advisors and coordinators are here to assist you with every step of the process from selecting a study abroad program, to preparing for departure, to facilitating the transfer credit process upon your return to campus.
Choosing the study abroad experience that’s right for you is always exciting and sometimes challenging. Browse the many programs available for a semester, year, summer, or mini-term abroad in the Program Search.
You should consider your priorities and think about programs that fit your personal, academic, and financial goals. To help you determine your priorities, we have put together the following list of questions as a guide. Don’t worry if you cannot answer them all. Our staff will help you as you proceed through the decision-making process.
- Why do I want to go abroad?
- Which aspects of study abroad are most important to me (language immersion, program duration, location, etc.)?
- What subject areas do I want to study?
- Do I need to fulfill any academic requirements abroad?
- Do I want to participate in an internship program?
- Do I want to take classes in English or the language of the host country?
- What is my foreign language ability? Do I speak another language and do I want to use that language abroad?
- What country or region of the world appeals most to me?
- Would I rather live in an urban or rural location?
- Do I prefer big cities or smaller cities?
- Would I prefer to live with a host family or in a dorm or student apartment?
- Which year do I want study to abroad (sophomore, junior, senior)?
- How long would I like my program to last (semester, year, summer, mini-term)?
- How will I pay for my study abroad experience?
- Do I need financial assistance?
- Will I apply for study abroad scholarships?
Once you have narrowed down your program choices to three, you should schedule an appointment with one of our coordinators who will talk to you more in depth about your options and how the application process works.
All advising appointments for the spring 2021 semester will be held via telephone or Zoom. Our coordinators are available to meet with you (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Please use Vol Academic Connect (Navigate), available via your myUTK, to schedule your advising appointment.
Click here to view our Vol Academic Connect Instructions on how to schedule an appointment.
If you are a Haslam College of Business student, click these instructions here.