Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Transfer Credit Process

Most students will receive transfer credit for courses taken on study abroad programs. However, it is vitally important that students speak with their academic advisor when selecting programs for education abroad and arrange for official transcripts to be sent to UT.

NOTE: The transfer credit process does not apply to UT faculty-directed spring break, summer, or mini-term programs.


Prior to returning to the United States from your study abroad program you must arrange to have your transcript sent directly from your host institution/affiliate to the Programs Abroad Office either electronically using the email or by mail at:

1620 Melrose Avenue
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-3531

The transcript will document the credit hours taken abroad and course grades. All hours attempted abroad will count toward your UT attempted hours. Your study abroad grades will not be factored into your UT GPA, but the grades will appear on your UT academic history and official transcript, and will be factored into your Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship HOPE GPA.

If an official foreign transcript is not received by the Programs Abroad Office within two academic terms after completion of your study abroad program, credit hours cannot be posted. Your scholarships and financial aid may be suspended (including the Hope Scholarship) and you may be entered into repayment of funds by the Office of Financial Aid Scholarships for the undocumented hours. If you are not notified of the receipt of your transcript within five months of completion of your study abroad program, contact the Programs Abroad Office.

Course Petitions

There are two different processes you must complete:

  1. Post study abroad credits to your academic history: You will receive notification from the Programs Abroad Office as soon as your study abroad transcript arrives and has been taken to Undergraduate Admissions. You will receive a copy of your transcript, request for transfer credit form that you completed before departure, and a checklist of how to petition for specific credit.
  2. Petition for credits to apply toward major, minor, or general education requirements: This process can take several months, so please begin as soon as you are notified by the Programs Abroad Office that your study abroad transcript has arrived. You will complete the course petition process with your academic advisor.

NOTE: Your official UT transcript will reflect that you studied abroad, the timeframe, the number of credits earned, individual classes, and grades. Keep in mind that, if you plan on applying to graduate or professional school, the original transcripts from your study abroad program may be examined during the application process.