CGE Storyteller: Conor O’Neill | Making Lifelong Connections

How to Make Friends While Studying Abroad

One of the most common concerns for students thinking of studying abroad is how to make friends in a foreign country. When I first decided to study abroad, I was initially nervous about leaving my friends and family behind. However, I quickly found that making friends is very achievable when abroad and is by far one of the best parts. Here are some tips on things to think about when trying to make friends.

Participate in Study Abroad Events:

• Before school started, Macquarie put on many events to help meet other exchange students. We had a group lunch where everyone introduced themselves and got to meet one another, and we also played games where everyone was divided into teams, so it made it easy to meet new people. Don’t hesitate to strike up conversations during these events and exchange contact information to stay in touch. WhatsApp and Instagram have been the two main apps that I found to be the best ways to stay in touch with people.

Join Clubs

• Macquarie University offers a wide range of clubs and organizations catering to various interests and hobbies. I joined the chess club and the climbing club, which have made it easy to connect with people with similar interests. Both clubs host weekly meetings, so it is fun to attend after class and relax. It’s also easier to connect with others when you have a common passion or goal.

Join online communities.

• The digital age has made it easier than ever to connect with people, even before you arrive in your host country. I didn’t personally use Facebook before I came to Australia, but after learning how prevalent Facebook groups are here, I built an account so it would be easier to connect with people. Joining these communities can help you make friends before you even set foot in the country, and you’ll have a support network ready to assist you in your transition.

Plan Trips

• Studying abroad offers the chance to explore not only your host country but also neighboring countries and regions. I joined a large group chat of other exchange students who were interested in hiking and went to the Blue Mountains. After the hike, I exchanged contacts with the new people I met, and we went to Phillips Island in Melbourne the next weekend.

While it may sound cliché, a friendly attitude can go a long way toward making friends. Be open to new experiences, be approachable, and smile often. Simple gestures like introducing yourself can lead to meaningful friendships. If you’re feeling homesick or lonely, don’t hesitate to seek support from your university’s international office or counseling services; they can provide advice and connect you with resources. Remember that building friendships takes time, and it’s normal to feel a bit out of your comfort zone initially. Be patient and persistent, and don’t be discouraged by any initial setbacks. Embrace the adventure, stay open-minded, and you’ll undoubtedly create unforgettable memories with friends from around the world.

More about Macquarie University>

More from Conor O’Neill>