CGE Storyteller: Michael Kyriakoudes | Traveling on a Budget

Michael Kyriakoudes | Spring 2024

Being abroad I wanted to be able to travel outside of my study location. However, there is a lot that goes into planning a trip, even if it’s just for a weekend. With this, the cost can quickly add up with transportation, housing, food, museums, and other expenses. This is why I wanted to share some tips I have learned about how to travel on a budget.

Transportation

Getting to and from your location can easily be your biggest expense. However, no matter the mode of transportation, there are ways to get a good deal. For trains, if you know you are going to be using them frequently then looking into a rail pass might be beneficial. There are a few companies that offer them, but the most well-known is the Eurail Pass. With many different pass options to choose from, having a rail pass can make travel cheaper and more flexible. While trains are often faster, the cheapest option is taking a bus. Flixbus has many routes and is almost always cheaper than a train. My friends and I took an overnight bus from Germany to Luxembourg and then the overnight bus back the next night. While not great for sleep, we were able to avoid needing two nights of lodging and ended up spending only around $50 excluding food for the trip.

Lodging

The cheapest option for lodging is finding a hostel. Hostels have many options (Single private rooms, group private rooms, shared rooms, and pod-style rooms to name a few). The shared rooms will usually be the cheapest, but there are often good deals on other styles as well. For example, I found a $ 30-a-night pod-style private room in Paris. If you go with a group you can cut the price even more as well. I went to Berlin with 7 other people and we were able to find an 8-person private room for around $22 per person. This being said, be sure to check the reviews of the hostel before committing!

Food

No matter where you are traveling, there are usually options for decently priced food. I’ve found that the best way to find cheap meals is to try looking online or to get out of the touristy areas and find a small place to eat. Quick takeaway places are also a great option for budget food. In Germany, the Döner Kebab is a very popular,
delicious, and cheap meal.
 In places, such as Switzerland, where prices are much higher, going to the grocery store to try and make a meal or get snacks is also a budget-friendly option.

Excursions

Checking student/resident discounts is a must when traveling. There are often great discounts or completely waived fees.         

For example, in Paris, I was able to enter the Louvre, Musee d’Orsay, and Versailles all for free because I had my residence permit and was a student. This saved me a significant amount of money, and I was able to see major attractions for free.

Traveling during your time abroad does not have to break the bank, and there are many ways to cut down costs. I hope these tips will help you in future travels during your study abroad!

Bis bald,

Michael

More about IES Abroad Freiburg – Environmental Studies and Sustainability>

More from Michael Kyriakoudes>

*Please note: The University of Tennessee and Center for Global Engagement does not endorse organizations mentioned or used by students. Suggested external resources are meant to assist students but are not monitored or maintained for accuracy or quality control.